It’s All A Dance
Possibly a lot of you have been affected by the US 2016 election of Donald Trump and his subsequent inauguration and may be doing a dance finding your equilibrium while being buffeted by an onslaught of overwhelming information on new developments.
I have found my dormant activist heart renewed and am finding my own way through overwhelm, fear, hope, and commitment to unity and non-duality while taking action.
Maximum Effectiveness and Efficiency; Minimum Effort
These are a few guidelines I’m developing that you may find helpful on your own journey. The most challenging one for me is number 6. My addiction is to constantly be following all the latest developments, even in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep! How silly! My overall mantra is “Respond from love and what I value; breathe through and release fear, anger, division”.
- Notice my triggers. When I’m triggered, I react. My reactions are pretty familiar. Anger, fear, despair, hopelessness.
- Take a deep breath and find my center. My inner sanctuary. My sanctuary is when I an in touch with my sense of connection and kinship with Nature-all of life. All of it. Feeling my part in this cosmic dance of being human.
- Remember the Beauty in my life. I am immersed in so much beauty. The beauty of the love of family and friends who know me, really know me and still love me. The love of my precious husband of 39 years. The beauty of nature and the wild places that surround me.
- Choose to respond rather than react. Choose to respond from my own inner sanctuary, from beauty, love, peace. From those values I hold dear. Reaction is when I am triggered and act or withdraw from anger, hopelessness, hopelessness, despair etc. Intend to not become the very thing you are resisting.
- Maintain my own perspective. When my newsfeed is all one sided and barrages me with one outrage after another, I add my own perspective. Did Trump’s inauguration fill you with any negative feelings? How about counter that with images of millions of women and their supporters marching as protectors without incident around the world, responding to an organic call.
- Do my practice, myself-care before anything else. Put strong boundaries around my media time. When my begin to feel overwhelmed or off center, turn it off, find my center again. Go out in nature, take a walk…etc.
- Take daily action as efficiently as possible. Streamline phone calls and when I’m done, be done.
This article may be helpful to you too. Self-care
How Tarot Can Help
The first few days of the new presidency had me feeling like the figure in the Gaian Tarot’s Devil card which is renamed Bindweed. The figure is overwhelmed by two invasive species and unable to act, see, hear or move. Have you felt like that lately?
It shows the chatter of the starlings, an invasive species which crowds out native birds, incessantly yammering away while bindweed, yet another invasive species that chokes the life out of its host, overtakes the person.
The incessant onslaught of bad news that I subject myself to tempts me to withdraw into despair and inaction.
This is a wonderfully relevant take on the traditional Devil card, a card which lends itself to multiple interpretations. What chains us? What binds us? What are we addicted to that squeezes the life out of us? Following my number 6 tip above, self-care, helps to remedy this.
Balance To The Rescue
Once again, we can look to tarot to guide us. This Adjustment card, is the Thoth Tarot Deck version of Justice. The adjustment here suggests justice arises from the dynamic interaction between opposites. In Aleister Crowley’s words: ” Nature is not the grocer weighing out a pend of sugar; it is the compensation of complicated rhythms.” I love how this image captures the fine art of balance, balancing on a very fine point while holding the scales containing the alpa and omega. Lightness and focus is what it takes.
This card is a helpful mediation for me while I’m surfing the extremes of emotions looking for my own equilibrium.
How about you? How are you managing? I’d love to hear from you.
There is a force within you which gives you life.